Adding A New Product To Your Store
Adding A New Product To Your Store takes a few steps, but once you have the basics down, it’s as easy as filling out a form and uses the same basic layout as when you are adding a new post or page to your website.
Here is a video that walks through how to add each type of product (descriptions of these product types below) using our preferred e-commerce platform in WordPress called WooCommerce.
Product Types To Know When Adding A New Product To Your Store
With attributes and categories set up and stock management configured, we can begin adding products. When adding a product, the first thing to decide is what type of product it is. Links in this section will take you to the WooCommerce website for more detailed information if you’d like to read up more.
- Simple – covers the vast majority of any products you may sell. Simple products are shipped and have no options. For example, a book.
- Grouped – a collection of related products that can be purchased individually and only consist of simple products. For example, a set of six drinking glasses.
- Virtual – one that doesn’t require shipping. For example, a service. Enabling this, disables all shipping related fields such as shipping dimensions. A virtual product will also not trigger the shipping calculator in cart and checkout.
- Downloadable – activates additional fields where you can provide a downloadable file. After a successful purchase, customers are given a downloadable file as a link in the order notification email. This is suitable, for example, for a digital album, PDF magazine, or photo.
- External or Affiliate – one that you list and describe on your website but is sold elsewhere.
- Variable – a product with variations, each of which may have a different SKU, price, stock option, etc. For example, a t-shirt available in different colors and/or sizes.